The 7th month festival or also known as the Chinese Hungry Ghost festival is just around the corner in a few hours. For this year 2014, it begins on 27th July 2014 and end on 24th August 2014. It is believed that in this month, the gate of hell is opened so that the spirit and soul of the underworld can roam around on our world, so here is a list of taboos for you to avoid doing for this lunar 7th month.
1. It will bring you bad luck if you kick or disturb the offering (joss stick, candles or food offerings) to the ghosts because all these are meant to please them.
2. It is an inauspicious month to hold any important occasions, for example, weddings or moving house.
3. It is recommended to avoid swimming in this month because it is believed that those spirt who died in the water are looking for replacement.
4.In this month, especially at night, it is advisable not to turn back or respond if someone calls your name from your back.
5. You should not kill any uncommon insects (moth, grasshopper, etc) that visit your house as they are believed to be the manifestation of spirits on ancestors visiting you.
6. Do not talk about ghosts in this month because it might offend the wandering spirits.
7. Children and young adults are advised to return home early and not to wander around alone at night. This belief is due to the reason that the wandering ghosts can possess children easily.
8. Never take any of the offerings that are meant for the spirits. The food spread is normally to be left behind after the prayers.
9. Do not sit on the first row of “empty” seats of the makeshift stage (also known as 歌台). These chairs are specially reserved for the ghosts.
Courtesy of Strait times
10. Avoid wearing of black as not to welcome more bad energy
11. Do not whistle at night. It will draw the ghosts’ attention.
12. Do not dry clothing at night time.
13. Be extra caution in driving during this month to avoid accidents, as there may be many wandering spirits who died of accidents previously that are searching for next victims so that they could be reincarnated.
14. Avoid going for jungle trekking and going on camping trips as chances of injuries, possession and death are high.
15. Do not pick up anything including money found on the street and never bring it home.
Although all these are chinese culture practice and believe it or not, but always remember this “To be safe than to be sorry”