5 Chinese Superstitions When Buying A House – Does It Impact The Price?
As one of the oldest civilisations in the world, the Chinese have many traditions and superstitions passed down over the generations. They are the things you cannot do during pregnancy, moving house rituals, wedding taboos and much more other than you can ever imagine.
The most popular one is the Chinese superstition when buying a house. If you belong to a group that does not believe in these superstitions, it can be an excellent opportunity to buy a property at a considerable discount.
Chinese Superstitions When Buying a House That You Should Know
1. Strong Belief in Lucky and Unlucky Numbers
The Chinese love the lucky number eight because it sounds like wealth and prosperity. A unit with the more eights fetches a higher price, for example, #08-888 or any auspicious number combination like #01-68. So they believed it would bring them a good fortune if they purchased the house.
In contrast, they shy away from an unlucky number like four because it sounds like the word “die”, which is inauspicious to most people. If you are looking for a cheaper unit, those with unlucky numbers like #04-444 and #01-74 might work out for you.
However, some people also believe that 13 is bad luck too. If you have noticed, some hotels or buildings have purposely skipped level 13 or 4 in the lift system.
2. Bring Babies Along During House HuntingThe Chinese believed babies could sense or detect paranormal activity in the house. So once you have shortlisted the unit you want, bring along a baby to visit the place. If the baby keeps crying non-stop when he is in the house, it indicates something weird is going on.
3. No Property Purchase in Lunar 7th Month – The Ghost Festival
The Hungry Ghost month is one of the most important festivals in which the Chinese show respect for their ancestors and wandering spirits with offerings. There are many superstitions and taboos surrounding this ghost month. One of them is to avoid buying a house in this particular month.
People believed that getting a new house in this ghost month would bring bad luck to the new occupant of the house. However, you can still go for house viewing in the daytime but avoid signing contracts to complete the transaction.
If you are a non-believer of such superstitions, you might pick up a suitable property with a better discount.
4. Avoid Living Near Places of Yin EnergySome people consider it a “grave” mistake to buy a house near or facing a cemetery/graveyard, columbarium or hospital? Why? These places create Yin energy, and too much of it can cause human health to deteriorate. Hence it is not a suitable place to stay.
5. Looking Out For Surroundings
When choosing a house, it is advisable to look at the surrounding trees or plants. If it is dying or withering, it might hint that the energy embracing the house is unfavourable to stay.
Apart from these superstitions, it would be best if you also learned about the Feng Shui house buying tips to get a good one.
YOU MIGHT ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
Find out which bathroom color will make you feel more energized and happy, along with the corresponding Feng Shui suggestions.
Do you know the Feng Shui Guidelines For Trash Bin? It does influence the surrounding energy in the environment, so read on to find out more.
Bathroom Feng Shui Plants - Bring in the green lushes into the toilet to neutralize the bad energy and welcome the good ones.
Choosing the best Feng Shui front door color is not always an easy decision because it depends on several factors to find the right fit.